Notice, I titled this “lifestyle change” because that’s the only REAL way to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. I don’t diet, I cheat all the time, but I workout 5 days a week so it counterbalances itself. It doesn’t just happen in the blink of an eye either, I didn’t see real results until after about 2-3 months (and it wasn’t even [me] noticing the difference, my friends/coworkers noticed the change before I could.)
I’ve listed 16 ways you can easily make working out a habit and successfully make a lifestyle change.
- Research proper workouts, set a long-term goal, or start a program. Programs generally work the best because they hold you accountable for each day and you can look at the workout ahead of time to make sure you understand the proper technique.
- Don’t diet. Learn to live a healthy lifestyle. Counting calories and refusing to eat carbs might make you lose weight quick but in the long run it’s better to limit your intake rather than deprive yourself or not learn the pros of eating good carbs moderately.
- Have a workout partner. You can both hold each other accountable.
- Don’t get mad at yourself for cheating. Everyone does. You can’t eat healthy 100% of the time and sometimes you just can’t say no. Don’t hate yourself for it. Just add cardio to your next workout, or workout ten minutes longer than usual.
- Limit your sugar intake.
- Give yourself one-two cheat meals a week,
- Have REST days, they are important! Your body needs time to heal.
realistic goals, more times than not your setting goals that are impossible to reach in short periods of time, it’s unlikely and unhealthy to lose 20lb in a month.
- Plan your meals. Have a weekly or monthly grocery list, plan out your meals daily and stick to them. Living a healthy lifestyle is never depriving yourself but nourishing your body with the fuel it needs.
- You aren’t hungry, you’re bored. Know the difference.
- Do it for yourself, not anyone else. Believe in YOU and continue to picture yourself reaching your goal and feeling the ultimate satisfaction. “Some women choose to follow men, and some choose to follow their dreams. If you’re wondering which way to go, remember that your career and will never wake up and tell you it doesn’t love you anymore” Thanks for the wise words Lady Gaga.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. That’s the ultimate way to constantly feel negative about yourself, embrace your imperfections and strive to be better than you were yesterday.
- Take it one day at a time and surround yourself with positivity.
- Cardio and Weightlifting are equally important. Find routines you look forward to that incorporate both. If you don’t like the workout routine your currently performing, TRY something new! You have to like your routine or you will never stick to it.
- Stop making excuses. You don’t have to go to the gym to get a good/effective workout. Make due in your home or outside.
hold yourself accountable. You can do anything you set your mind to. Stay motivated and push yourself to the limit and you’ll always be happy with the results.
If you loved this post, please be sure to checkout 16 Scandinavian Interior Designs for the Minimally Chic Girl.
I would love to hear if you’re planning to make a lifestyle change or what currently motivates you to workout.